Acidity in the human body is the main cause of various health ailments ranging from mild digestive problems to major cardiovascular diseases.
During digestion, the stomach secretes acids to break down food. These acids, when produced in excess, cause heartburn and a painful or irritating sensation in the oesophagus. This condition is known as Acid Peptic Disease (APD) in medical terms.
Causes of Acidity
Acidity may occur due to the following reasons:
There are many things that can cause acidity. While you may not be able to control all of the below-mentioned habits or activities, knowing some of the common causes may help you to prevent it from happening. And,
- Bad eating habits, which include eating too much or too little or skipping meals
- Not chewing food properly
- Eating too much of junk, non-vegetarian and spicy food
- Smoking and consuming too much of alcohol
- Being overweight or obese
- Lying down immediately after eating
- Excessive exposure to sun and heat
- Too much stress
Also, read about: Top 10 Foods That Cause Bloating.
Some of the diseases that cause acidity include:
Below mentioned causes are crucial in identifying and avoiding the causative factors that are essential in the treatment of the same.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease – GERD
- Helicobacter Pylori
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
- Gastric Ulcers
Symptoms of Acidity
- Chest pain
- Worsening of pain while lying down
- Post-meal pain
- Bitter taste
- Hoarseness, Sore throat and Cough
- Respiratory problems
- Trouble while swallowing
- Extra saliva
- Stomach pain
- Gas formation in stomach
Also, read about: Home Remedies For Stomach Infection.
Call +91-8010-994-994 and talk to Credi Medical Experts for FREE. Get assistance in choosing the right specialist, compare treatment cost from various hospitals and get support in managing other hospital processes.