"If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we cure cancer."
This is a popular saying on the internet. So far nobody has an answer to this question. Even the word 'cancer' can throw most people in panic. The fact of the matter is: Cancer is a simple illness. We are, in no way, undermining the battle of fighting cancer. All we are saying that is cancer prevention is possible.
In this article, we will study a few amazing cancer prevention tips that you would go tipsy for.Quick Fact Check:
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 30-50% of cancers can be prevented just like diabetes or hypertension.
- Oral cancer (preventable) is among the top three cancers in India.
- Cancer is the second most common cause of death in Indians.
- Cancer, if detected at an early stage, is not always fatal.
Cancer Prevention Tips:The following document is a brief collection of top suggestions that will tell you how to prevent cancer.
1. Break up with smokingIf you smoke, STOP. If you do not smoke, Don't start. People who smoke cigarettes or consume tobacco in any other form win this race. They are at the highest risk of developing cancer because of the exposure to tobacco. Even secondhand smoke has the tendency to damage DNA. Tobacco consumption causes cancers of the lung, mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach, liver, colon, kidney and the list goes on. If you quit smoking now, your life expectancy tends to improve. Tobacco smoke emits about 250 diverse harmful chemicals. Out of these, nearly 65 are capable of causing cancer. Also, read about the article Why Should I Quit Smoking?
2. Don't choose sugary soft drinksYou may be tempted to drink something sugary, but control your temptations. New research has found that sugary drinks increase the risk of cancer. Irrespective of your weight, people who drink sugary drinks can develop cancer easily compared to those who don't. This research suggested that sugar-based drinks are responsible for some forms of cancer.
3. Work out and gain healthy weightThere is a clear link between body weight and cancer. Obesity is one of the prime reasons for cancer. Excess body weight amounts to almost 7% of cancer deaths. Being overweight causes cancers of breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, kidney, pancreas and many more. If you are overweight, your immune system and hormonal levels would be easily affected. The factors that cause cell growth also lead to changes that cause cancer. So we recommend that you lose weight if you are obese. Maintaining a healthy body weight is mandatory to prevent cancer.
4. Hit the gym to hit cancerNot only the gym, you can opt from a wide variety of physical activities. You can do Oncology yoga, play your favourite sport, go running, do aerobics among other things. The point is to indulge in some form of physical activity. Exercising is the foremost action you can take for cancer prevention. Women who exercise are at a lesser risk of developing breast cancer than women who don't. Your goal must be to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. We understand that you may have a busy schedule. In that case, you can fit this 30 minutes of working out into intervals of 10 minutes each. Further, you can get rid of a sedentary lifestyle by choosing to do minimal things. You can use the stairs instead of the elevator. Or park your car a little farther so that you have to walk towards it. These minimal actions will have a large effect on your health. Exercising helps in lower hormones level, reduce obesity, and improves the immune system.
5. The 3S rule- Save your skin from the sunSkin cancer is caused by exposure to UV rays from the sun. We do not ask you to hide from the sun entirely. We only ask you to be careful about the exposure. Here are some tips to follow with respect to sun protection:
- Limit sun exposure
- Seek shade during peak hours (10.00am-4.00 pm)
- Wear protective clothing
- Wear sunglasses
6. Go for vaccination, don't be scared of needlesVaccines are medicines that help our bodies to fight diseases. Cancer vaccines come in two forms- prevention and treatment. Cancer prevention vaccinations are very effective. Healthy people should make a note of it to regularly get vaccinated for preventive measures. A person should get cancer prevention vaccines before the infection enters their body.
7. Always practice safe sexNeedless to say, safe sex is of the utmost importance to maintain your sexual health. As well, if you wish to prevent cancer, safe sex should rank at the top. Unprotected sexual intercourse can attract infections like HIV or HPV. People affected by these infections are more at risk of developing cancer. You should limit the number of your sexual partners and use precautions.
8. Make vegetables your best friendNot just vegetables, but fruits and whole grains also. Cancer prevention is possible through a positive and healthy lifestyle. This lifestyle primarily includes more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Your dietary habits determine your overall health. This tip is especially effective if you have a history of cancer in your family. You should include food items rich in antioxidants to your diet. Eat fruits full of fibres and healthy fats. You should also cut down your intake of sugar and processed meat. Here, we also provide you with a short menu of food items that help in cancer prevention:
- Citrus Fruits
- Olive Oil
- Fatty Fish
9. Maintain a distance from alcoholYou would have seen cautions against drinking alcohol almost everywhere- at the movie theatre, billboards, etc. Besides causing damage to your liver, alcohol has another disadvantage. That it increases your risk of cancer. According to research, the more alcohol you drink, the higher is your chance of having cancer. It not only roots lung cancer, but also the cancers of mouth, head, neck, esophagus, colorectal, and breast. Consumption of alcohol affects your hormonal levels which further leads to the boosting of cancer. The type of alcohol you take doesn't matter. What matters is the overall amount of drinking you do.
10. For Women - breastfeed for at least 6 monthsA mother's milk is of great importance to the child. But breastfeeding has additional benefits for the mother also. Mothers who breastfed are at lesser odds of developing breast cancer. It is recommended for women to breastfeed their babies for at least six months. Lactation causes hormonal influence in women. This decreases the risk of breast cancer by a moderate percentage. Also, read about 10 Symptoms Of Cancer In Women That Shouldn't Be Ignored
11. Get regular check-upsOne of the key cancer prevention tips is to track your health. If cancer runs in your family background, then it is suggested that you have regular screenings. Consistent medical check-ups will allow you to take extra measures if some problem is detected. Consult the best cancer hospitals in India.
12. Stand more, sit lessStanding while working may cause discomfort. But it will rid you of the sedentary lifestyle. Most people in the working sector are unable to properly care for their health. These habits tend to increase their risk of various diseases, including cancer. So we ask you to stand instead of sitting whenever and wherever you can.
13. Sharing needles is not caringPreventive behaviour is what will make you healthier. It may come across as a very basic cancer prevention tips. But trust us, when we say that you should never share needles. We have already discussed why vaccines (shots) are important for cancer prevention. But your vaccination should be handled with care. Make sure that your healthcare provider is using a brand new, unused needle to provide you with the vaccine. Sharing used needles is a common reason why infections spread. These infections can lead to cancer.
14. Say hello to Vitamin DWe have already talked about protection from UV rays of the sun. This does not mean that you should avoid going out in the sun completely. There is a link between cancer risk and the deficiency of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is very essential for your overall health. People with sufficient amounts of Vitamin D are at a lesser risk of cancer. It is suggested that you expose your skin to sunlight during the early hours (before 10.00am). This way your skin will be able to produce enough Vitamin D while you will be protected from harmful UV rays. Must Read Vitamin D Rich Foods For Preventing Cancer and Bone Health
15. Buy organic cosmetic productsBeauty (product) comes at a cost. But the cost should be moderate and not life-threatening. The internet is flooded with concerns that beauty products may cause. Some studies have suggested that skin and hair care products release certain chemicals that promote changes in hormonal levels. And thus, bring a person at higher risk of cancer. Strong evidence is not yet available. But prevention is better than cure. So we suggest you make a wise choice and use organic cosmetic products.
So What Have We Learned?We, at Credihealth, care for your health. To book an appointment with one of the best cancer doctors in India The above article has been an attempt to highlight tips on how to prevent cancer. These everyday tips can fit your schedule and lifestyle. By making such small changes, you can largely work towards cancer prevention. You should add these cancer prevention tips to your self-care plan.