Chikungunya is a disease which is spread by two types of mosquitoes. Chikungunya is found out through a chikungunya test. No medicine has been invented by the medical world. Blood test for chikungunya is immediately recommended by a doctor when a person suffers from high fever with severe joint ache.
Symptoms for Chikungunya
- Fever (the fever can rise up to 104-degree Fahrenheit)
- Aching of joints
- Swelling of joints
- Pain in the muscles
- Swollen joints
If the fever is severe then a person can also suffer from conjunctivitis, dizziness, vomiting, etc.
Diagnosis of Chikungunya
Blood test for chikungunya is immediately recommended by your doctor as soon as you visit him with all or any of the above-mentioned symptoms. However, as the symptoms of chikungunya are almost similar to dengue, your doctor might send you for a chikungunya, dengue as well as a zika blood test so as to start with the right treatment.
Note: Chikungunya doesn’t spare pregnant ladies and the virus can be transferred onto the newborn which can take his life away from him. People with severe medical conditions like diabetes, heart diseases, and high blood pressure are prone to chikungunya. Apart from that, aged people above sixty-five are prone to this chronic disease.
How to Cure this Deadly Disease?
No particular medicines and vaccines have been developed which can heal or prevent chikungunya. So, all you can do is, treat the symptoms. But, how? Find out below.
- Rest is necessary as your body becomes weak.
- In order to prevent your body from getting dehydrated, you have to consume lots of fluid.
- In order to lower the fever and pains, medicines like paracetamol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) should be consumed.
- Aspirins should be strictly avoided.
- One should stay away from mosquitoes so that the virus can be stopped from, spreading. If that same mosquito bites another person then the virus is easily transferred to the other person thereby causing chikungunya.
How to Prevent Chikungunya?
Do you know how to stay away from this deadly disease? If not, don’t worry, we will help you out.
- Cover up your entire body by wearing long sleeve shirts, socks, etc. Your body shouldn’t be kept bare at all.
- Light colored clothes do not attract mosquitoes so do wear them. Avoid wearing dark colored clothes.
- Mosquito repellent should be applied to your clothes, shoes, etc. Start using mosquito nets.
- In order to protect your head and neck, you must make use of a hat.
- Cover your face with a cloth so as to keep away from mosquitoes.
- Water should not be left standing in your water baths for a longer duration. It should be cleaned weekly.
- The birth tub of your child should also be cleaned once a week so that you can eliminate mosquitoes.
- If you find any of the tubs in your garden filled with water, then empty it as soon as possible so that the birth of mosquitoes can be prevented.
Chikungunya test is of two types which include RT-PCR and serological tests. You must go for the one which your doctor suggests.
To know more about Chikungunya fever and more visit the Chikungunya health guide.