Watch Dr. Satnam Singh Chabbra is a Senior Consultant and the Vice Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, talk about awareness of spine surgery risks. Advancements in technology are making it easier to perform surgery with minimal risks involved.
When is spine surgery needed?
A surgery of the spine may be needed in the following conditions:
- Compression of spinal nerves causing severe back pain and numbness along back of leg.
- Ruptured spinal disc (herniated disc).
- Fractured vertebrae or broken bones, and an unstable spine, leading to osteoporosis.
- Failed non-surgical treatments.
Benefits of spine surgery
The primary reason for spine surgery is to alleviate back pain. Reduced pain is also accompanied with additional benefits:
- Increased activity and improved physical fitness
- Less dependency on pain medication and fewer drug side effects
- Increased productivity at work
- Improved mood
Risks involved in spine surgery
Like all surgeries, surgery of the spine also carries certain risk factors. These include:
- Bleeding; blood clots
- Heart attack; stroke
- Recurrent disc herniation
- Nerve damage