Holi is the time when you have fun and not care about staining your clothes or shoes. However, do make sure you care about your skin and hair and not let celebrations wreak havoc on the same. Given below are some DYI Post-Holi Hair & Skin Care Hacks that can help spare a trip to a dermatologist.
Back in the days, Holi was played with natural colors which were extracted from herbs and flowers. Therefore, these colors were more beneficial than harmful. However, over the years, these natural colors have been replaced with synthetic colors which can affect your hair and skin in more ways than one. Henceforth, it is important to protect your skin, hair and scalp. And, for the same here are some DYI skin and hair care tips to follow:
- Do not attempt to wash the colors at first. Dust off the dry colors of your hair as water can make the colors spread out even more.
- Try deep conditioning your hair with a mixture of honey and olive oil.
- With one spoon of lemon juice and a cup of curd mixed well together – you will be able to use this to rub on the scalp and rinse off the colors.
- You could also apply a home-made shampoo for this purpose. The mixture includes amla, shikakai and reetha boiled together, and voila, a healthy homemade shampoo is ready.
- Do not take a bath is hot water. Colours are more likely to get washed off with lukewarm water.
- Do not scrub your body for too long. You can use lime to scrub areas with color patches.
- Glycerin is another remedy to aid in the removal of color from the skin.
Also, learn How to Make Skin Glow.
Do-It-Yourself Face Masks
Normal skin: 2 tablespoons of masoor daal + one tablespoon of flour. Add rosewater and half teaspoon haldi and mix it into a paste. Keep the mask for 10-15 minutes before you wash it off.
Oily skin: 2 tablespoons of multani-mitti + 3-4 drops of glycerine. Mix with water to form a paste. Apply it on your face for 15 minutes before washing it off. If you don’t have glycerine, try adding a bit of pure orange juice instead.
Dry skin: 1 tablespoon of soybean flour + use milk to make a paste with glycerine and a pinch of sea salt. Use this mixture to scrub your face for about 5 minutes before washing you’re off.
Homemade Body Scrub
You can also make a paste which that can be used as a scrub on your body.
- 2 tablespoons of wheat bran (choker)
- 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder
- 1 tablespoon of rice flour
- few poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- few drops of honey and
- a mashed tomato
Make a paste of all the above ingredients and use it to scrub your body. In addition to using this paste to get rid of the Holi colors from your skin, you can also use a papaya piece for the same purpose. These homemade pastes are harmless since they’re made of natural material, no chemicals involved.
Please note: It is advisable not to go for any parlor treatment including facials or waxing till a day or two after Holi as the skin is highly sensitive and irritable around this time.
Hope you benefit from using these DIY tricks to get rid of the Holi colors.