Medical care is not a privilege but a need. And emergency medical care is rather a dire need. Grasping the ground details of how medical emergencies are tackled in India, Manipal Hospitals introduced an extraordinary fleet of ambulances – MARS.
No, not the planet Mars, but Manipal’s MARS, which is nothing lesser than a planet worth exploring. The concept is equally significant considering the high numbers of medical emergencies in the healthcare industry.
Just how NASA is transversing the red planet, Manipal Hospitals implored the scopes of improvement in the transportation of healthcare. This resulted in the setting up of the fast and advanced telephonic ambulance group.
Let us expand on what MARS is, and why should you know about it. But before we begin, here is a short outline of the history of ambulances in India.
The Saga of Ambulances
People have been falling ill since they were sent down on earth. There have been evolutions in the types and stages of health conditions, but never a time when medicine was not required. And then we put our brains into inventing systems and technologies that bring along new ailments. Road accidents, allergies, side effects and many more that keep progressing.
With the onset of these conditions, a stand-in need for urgent passage of patients was considered. The aspect of ambulances has been in use since ancient times. People would transport fellow companions on bullock carts, rickshaws and more.
The quality of ambulances globally improved only after World War I. In India, the National Health Mission (NHM) made major upgrades in emergency medical management in the year 2005. Motor vehicles replaced bullock carts which were further replaced by ambulatory units consisting of life support devices.
What is MARS?
MARS stands for Manipal Ambulance Response Service. It is a set of nearly 12 “on-call” ambulances. MARS is the largest set of ambulance vehicles in the New Delhi region.
Two categories of hospital wagons are included in MARS –
- ACLS – Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- BLS – Basic Life Support
8 ACLS units operate round-the-clock and offer immediate assistance to those in need.
Why choose MARS?
Better services at the lowest possible prices are always welcomed by all. MARS provides just that and more. During the urgency of health protection, one would want the best care within the due time that doesn’t add to their cost bearing. The fulfillment of all the above-mentioned desires is what MARS is about.
There are more reasons for what makes MARS different from other ambulatory units in Delhi.
- 24✕7 call centre – Making a wise decision when your loved one is suffering from a medical emergency can lead you to numerous dilemmas. MARS heeds to this notion by providing 24 hours of on-call assistance. Emergency Response Centre (ERC) is a centralized call centre by Manipal Hospitals. The professionals at this centre ensure complete aid and answers to all kinds of queries during the medical emergency.
- Well-trained paramedics – Both, BLS and ACLS, are supported by highly qualified Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT). Additionally, the drivers of BLS are qualified and competent in managing adult, pediatric and neonatal emergencies.
- Advanced technologies – MARS is geared with the most modern types of equipment. The EMTs can make use of these high-tech updations to save lives, while they transfer the patient to the hospital premises. Ventilators, defibrillators, syringe pumps, and critical medicines are provided in ACLS. While BLS is geared with devices like Multipara monitor with ECG, suction apparatus, glucometer and more.
- Air-conditioned – Both types of hospital wagons are fully-fledged and air-conditioned for the ease of patients.
- Prior details – Manipal Hospitals believe in saving time while providing the best care. With the help of the ERC and Central Monitoring System, all medical details of the patient are sent simultaneously to the emergency department at the hospital. This allows the staff at the hospital to not only prepare themselves for the kind of treatment to be given but, also analyze other factors for paramount patient care.
- Doctors – In cases that require the precise supervision of a specialist and not just trained personnel, Manipal Hospitals sends a doctor on the scene of the emergency.
How does MARS work?
Now that you know why should you choose MARS at a time of medical juncture, let us explain how the process works.
Step 1: Emergency calls are directed to the ERC which is operational 24✕7.
Step 2: The specialists at ERC attend to the queries and analyze the situation with precision and speed.
Step 3: ERC sends the nearest and right type of ambulance using geo-mapping, based on the patient’s condition.
Step 4: ERC connects the concerned EMT with the caller so that the patient’s status can be shared and managed immediately.
Step 5: As soon as the wagon reaches the spot, an EMT cares for the patient and checks him/her for BP, heart rate, respiratory rate, ECG, and oxygen levels.
Step 6: ERC relays the information to the Emergency Department at the hospital. The department readies itself for superlative care.
Step 7: The patient is taken to the nearest Manipal Hospital and admitted to the concerned department.
Manipal Ambulance Response Service can be contacted at 011-4040 7070 for medical-emergency calls.
This write-up was contributed by Credihealth content team to Manipal Hospitals:
Manipal Hospitals Dwarka is a high-end multi-specialty hospital. Based in South West Delhi, the tertiary care centre offers cutting-edge facilities. The hospital is renowned across the city for its remarkable services, especially in Emergency Care. It’s free of cost ambulatory service MARS is operational 24✕7 and grants live-saving services on wheels.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you through.