Table of Contents
- What is Urticaria or Urticaria Meaning?
- Why does Urticaria occur?
- Urticaria Treatment
- 3 Myths About Urticaria
- Simple & Effective Home Remedies for Urticaria
- Meaning of Urticaria: Conclusion
Urticaria is a transitory condition of the skin that is most often caused by an allergic reaction. Urticaria is popularly referred to as hives. Under this condition, pink or red rashes develop on the skin that are more often than not mistaken as mosquito bites. Let us know all about hives or urticaria meaning, causes & treatment.
What is Urticaria or Urticaria Meaning?
Commonly referred to as hives, welts, weals or nettle rash, Urticaria meaning is referred to as a collection of red colored raised and itchy skin rashes, usually believed to be triggered by an allergen. Urticaria Meaning, and the word originates from the Latin word Urtic (meaning nettles).
Why does Urticaria occur?
Urticaria is said to be caused as a result of an allergic reaction in the body, due to which a protein called histamine gets released and it causes the blood capillaries to leak fluid, and these leaked fluids collect just under the skin which causes the raised rashes.
But some other experts offer much more commonplace explanations for urticarial, saying they do not know the real medical reason. Some of the possible causes they list are:
- use of anti-inflammatory drugs
- tight clothing
- extreme temperatures
Other Possible Causes for Urticaria
Urticaria meaning welts can also happen due to:
- pet dander
- intestinal parasites
- excessive scratching and
- some foods like eggs, strawberries, nuts, shellfish etc.
Since one school of thought believes that histamines are a reason for the formation of the Urticaria or Hives rashes, therefore a common treatment is with the help of antihistamines. One must remember, though, that these antihistamines do not treat the causes, but rather treat the symptoms.
Although experts recommend this, but another treatment is to take away all the circumstances that are believed to cause it, like anti-inflammatory drugs, tight clothes, alcohol, stress etc.
Apart from the anti-histamines, the application of menthol based lotions could also provide temporary relief.
3 Myths About Urticaria
Because the opinion is divided about possible causes, there is a high amount of disinformation or uninformed opinion regarding Urticaria Meaning. Here are a few of them:
#Myth 1. Chronic Urticaria is Caused by Allergies
The fact is that only Urticaria is caused by allergens. But if it keeps returning after few months, then it is chronic, and there is no evidence to suggest that it is caused by allergies. Chronic hives are actually believed to occur due to an autoimmune reaction to an infection that is not present in the body.
#Myth 2. Chronic Urticaria Can’t be Treated
As detailed above, non-sedative histamines have proven to be effective in treatment.
#Myth 3. One Can Live with Urticaria (Hives)
It might seem like just an itch on your skin or a cluster of red raised rashes, but people who suffer from it know how uncertain their lives become, because they have no idea when and where the next outbreak will be and how severe it will be.
Simple & Effective Home Remedies for Urticaria
As we mentioned above, urticaria meaning (hives) is a condition which really affects the patient badly, and should not be treated as just a simple case of rashes. We must take steps to control and cure it at the earliest, and take help from doctors if needed. But before that, Urticaria Meaning (hives) weals can be treated by the patient himself in the following ways:
- Vinegar – A tablespoon of vinegar can be mixed in a cup of water and applied on the area. Another soothing application would be milk of magnesia. Another lotion often used is a homemade mixture of baking soda and water. Fish oil and chamomile tea have also found to be effective.
- Avoid tight clothes – You need to shift to loose fitting and soft clothes and allow the skin to breathe. Woollen garments or other similar rough clothes should be avoided.
- Ice-pack – Use an ice pack or a damp towel on the affected areas to get immediate relief after you see the rashes break out. These not only comfort the skin, but will inhibit your desire to scratch the skin and make the rashes worse.
- Anti-histamines – You can help yourself by using some basic anti-histamines which you can purchase at your neighborhood pharmacy, without needing a prescription. Since you are self-medicating, you need to keep in mind that if the rashes also result in some pain, please do avoid the temptation to pop an Aspirin or Ibuprofen, because these anti-inflammatory medicines are believed to cause Urticaria Meaning or hives.
Meaning of Urticaria: Conclusion
Although it is a very common occurrence, yet urticarial can literally be a pain in the wrong place if allowed to spread and recur. That is why you need to be aware of what you are allergic to, and avoid those foods, circumstances or activities. Usually, home remedies would provide temporary relief, but to get a complete cure, a physician should be consulted. If your instances of urticarial keep repeating, then you might have a chronic case of urticaria, in which case proper medication would be needed.