If you are accustomed to lullabies, cartoons, candies and Bollywood songs like Bum Bum Bole, we assume you have little children at home. However, if you are not habitual with this list, allow your inner child out. All because it is Children’s Day India. But as you know that the cozy season aka winter is here, several health problems like cold and cough would target children. Read on to explore our best home remedies for cold and cough for babies.
Cold and cough can be very irritating and uncomfortable for any of us. Imagine how it would affect a small baby. Nasal congestion, cough, phlegm, and difficulty in breathing, etc., can be extremely difficult for babies. Sadly, there is not much that can be done to prevent them from getting infected except for ensuring hygiene in your house. Remedy for cough and cold are easily applicable. Here’s our list of top solutions.
Home Remedies For Cold And Cough for Babies
For centuries, mothers all over the country have been using different home-remedies to bring some relief to their babies. Listed below are some of the most effective of these:
- Keep Them Hydrated: (For babies over 6 months of age) You should make sure that they are always hydrated when down with cold. They should be given warm water, soup, etc. at small intervals.
- Carom Seeds and Garlic: Dry roast carom seeds and garlic on a pan. Then tie them up in a muslin cloth and rub it on the baby’s chest. For those younger than 6 months, tie the pouch to their cot so they can inhale the vapors.
- Humid Air: To relieve the nasal passages of mucus, it is important to breathe in moist air. Older children can be given steam directly from a vaporizer and for smaller children, humidifiers should be installed in the room. If neither of these is possible, just give the baby a warm bath in a steamy bathroom.
- Massage the baby: Another way to soothe the baby is to massage her/him with warm oil (baby or mustard) mixed with garlic for instant relief.
- Use Vapour Rub: Rub some vapor rub on their feet and cover them up with socks, for children above 6-8 months of age.
- Elevate baby’s heads: (Not for babies below six months of age) Elevate the baby’s head by giving him/her an extra pillow or putting one under his/her mattress.
- Turmeric: Apply turmeric paste on the head of the baby. For cough, mix a pinch of turmeric powder in hot milk and give it to the baby.
- Honey: (Only for children above the age of one) Honey is considered to be one of the most effective natural products for cough. Honey with warm water can be given multiple times a day. You can also mix 1 teaspoon of honey with 1/4 spoon of cinnamon and give it to the baby a couple of times a day for relief.
- Camphor: Add a small amount of camphor in warm coconut oil and rub a few drops on the baby’s chest. It may irritate your baby’s skin so make sure you use very little camphor.
- Lady Finger/Okra: For babies over 6 months, you can boil some Okra or Lady Finger with water. Cool it down and serve it to the baby in small quantities throughout the day.
Children deserve to be celebrated each day of the year. But 14th November remains extraordinary. The season has just changed and we are certain that these home remedies for cold and cough for babies will help you or someone you know.
Also read about Common Cold Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
However, if the condition of your children remains unhealthy, contact the Best Pediatrician in India. For more information or free personalized guidance, speak to a Credihealth medical expert at +918010994994.
[button size=”medium” color=”transparent_credi” class = “custom_button transparent_credi” link=”https://www.credihealth.com/medical-assistance?utm_source=blog_article&utm_medium=bottom_button&utm_campaign=book_appointment” icon=”” target=”true”]Request Callback [/button]