Table of Contents
Diabetes is a disease which affects the blood sugar levels and is one of the leading causes of life-threatening health issues which affects an average human being. Diabetes is of three types; type, type 2, and gestational diabetes. You can never be too careful with your health especially with a disease like diabetes. From a medical point of view, there is no cure for diabetes but with certain measures, it can go into remission. In other words, diabetes can be brought under control by following certain steps/lifestyle changes. In this article, let’s take a look at the ways in which you can control diabetes.
Research shows you that walking can reduce the risk of heart disease in a type 2 diabetes patient. With walking, you will not have to invest a lot of time to reap the benefits.
- Doctors suggest patients take 15-minute walks thrice in a week after meals.
- Doing so can help controlling glucose levels in the body.
- Brief walking sessions are not only good for health but for those who are bounded by time.
- The idea with walking is to go for one whenever you feel like it.
- It helps if you can keep track of the time of your walking sessions.
- Taking a walk during the lunch break, or going for a post-dinner walk is one way to incorporate walking into your daily routine.
Also, read about: Home Remedies for Diabetes
Keeping It Light After Sun Down
There is a phrase which goes like, “Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper”.The whole concept of meals starts with having a hearty breakfast, then lowering the amount of food intake in the following meals and keeping the dinner as light and easy for the stomach as possible.
- For instance, if you stick to eating salads or a bowl of mixed fruits, according to a 2004 study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, can significantly improve the conditions of a diabetic patient.
- A simple trick to keep the blood sugar level in check is by having a light dinner.
- Another study suggests that the acid in vinegar interferes with the way in which the body absorbs carbohydrates.
- This helps in keeping the blood sugar under control.
Always Pack Lunch
The idea of having to cook food let alone pack it is hectic enough that most of us skip this ordeal. Instead, we would go to the closest fast food restaurant and grab a bite.
- The foods served in these places typically are high in calories and can harmful for a diabetic patient.
- By packing your own lunch to work, you are at liberty to choose the number of calories you want to consume and the overall nutritional values of the food.
- To save time, you can pre-cook your meals for the next day and keep them in the refrigerator.
- This way you can have a healthy meal as well as save valuable time in the morning.
Must read: Is Diabetes Curable?
Give Your Mind A Break
As a diabetic patient, not only do you have to keep your physical health in check but your mental health as well.
- Even for an average healthy human being, any kind of strain, physical or otherwise is very harmful.
- This becomes ten folds more problematic for a diabetic patient.
- Stress can raise your blood sugar levels exponentially.
- If you take out 10 minutes of your daily schedule and dedicate it to just unwind and let your thoughts wander to a happy place it can help you control and manage stress.
- Ultimately, this will improve your mental health and help in controlling diabetes.
- Breathing exercises, light yoga, and meditation are some of the proven ways to release stress.
Know all about: Pre-Diabetes Symptoms.
Take Away – Control Diabetes in 15 Minutes Or Less
The above mentioned are just some of the many ways in which you can keep your diabetes under control and lead a relatively healthy life. Once you stop worrying how a condition is bogging you down and start focussing on the ways in which you can make amends to get your life back on track, you will find that diabetes or any other disorder for that matter, less bothering.