Table of Contents
- What are Cataracts?
- What are the causes of cataract?
- Are cataracts found only in older people?
- What are the symptoms?
- Can cataract be prevented?
- How can cataract be diagnosed?
- How can cataract be treated?
- How much does cataract surgery cost?
- What are possible side effects of cataract surgery/treatment?
- Best Eye Specialists in India
- Delhi NCR | Mumbai Region | Kolkata | Hyderabad | Chennai | All India
What are Cataracts?
A cataract is the cloudy area of the normally clear lens of the eye that forms due to changes occurring in the eye tissue.
What are the causes of cataract?
Cataract formation has many causes-
- Old age related cataracts
- Eye diseases
- Post eye surgery reactions
- Genetic disorders
Are cataracts found only in older people?
Cataracts are not restricted only to older people. Even a newborn baby maybe found to have a cataract in his eye.
What are the symptoms?
- Cloudy, filmy or foggy vision
- Problems with glare during the day
- Double vision
- Sudden changes in glasses prescription
- Problems driving at night
- Changes in the way colour is seen due to the clouded lens acting as a filter
Can cataract be prevented?
There is no proven method of preventing cataract. Regular eye checkups can help one to become aware of cataracts and get timely treatment.
How can cataract be diagnosed?
Cataracts can be identified primarily through eye checkups. The ophthalmologist will check eye movements and papillary responses, measure eye pressure and examine the front and back of the eyes after the pupils have been dilated with drops.
How can cataract be treated?
The only permanent for cataract is the surgical removal of the cloudy lens.
How much does cataract surgery cost?
There are many variables in the cost of cataract surgery, which depends upon the type of intraocular lens (IOL), type of preoperative testing (basic or basic plus refractive), geographic location (urban vs. rural), and length of postoperative care. In India, cataract surgery costs approximately Rs.2000-5000 per eye.
What are possible side effects of cataract surgery/treatment?
Like any surgery, cataract surgery may also result in a few side effects-
- Mild pain
While this may be normal in most cases, excessive pain, nausea or vision loss should be taken as causes for concern and be checked by the surgeon immediately.