When it comes to deciding on a cardiologist or heart hospital for treatment, people depend on advises given by friends and relatives. Sometimes, the patients also rely on their family doctors to recommend them to a particular hospital. A hospital’s reputation in the community is an important indicator of its quality. It goes a long way in finalising any decision.
In case of an emergency , a person is rushed to the nearest hospital but for an elective procedure , a particular hospital has to be finalised upon, which in itself is a very tedious task. Here is a list of few things every patient should consider before finalizing on a hospital and a surgeon.
- Cardiac surgery calls for expert hands that can deal with any kind of surprises and complications coming it’s way . Thus, select a cardiac surgeon with extensive experience in the type of heart surgery you need.
- It is a general fact that the hospitals that receive a huge number of patients have better patient outcomes . Thus, a decision on the surgeon the patient is going for must include the fact as to which hospital he or she is currently in.
- Keep the national list of the best hospitals in cardiac surgeries and doctors for the same handy . This will help you make comparisons and choose according to ratings and reviews of patients and families.
- Consider a surgeon’s affiliations with various hospitals apart from the one in which he or she works. This indicates the demand of the doctor and his or her overall expertise.
- Try to analyse the facilities of the hospital in terms of nursing and overall care . This will help you choose a particular cardiac program , based on your personal preference and needs.
- Seek out surgeons who are in level with the latest treatment techniques. This way you will be awarded with the safest techniques , such as minimally invasive and robot-assisted heart surgeries.
- Looking for fellowship programs in cardiology help getting treatment from the nation-wide famous doctors who train fellows in the latest technologies.
- Though a hospital who is an expert in treating heart diseases should be preferred , make sure that the hospital is equipped with experts to provide care in case of any contingency that arises during the procedure.
- Try to pick up a hospital with a follow-up cardiac rehabilitation program . Even though one can always go for programs outside the hospital , it is better to be start treatment at the same place where the follow-up and post-op recovery will take place.
- In case of new and complicated cases, look for hospitals with cardiac research and clinical trial programs. These hospitals have access to new options and medications which are not available elsewhere.
- Refer to friends and families and seek out people you trust.
- Much of the information comes from mining web pages of medical assist consultancies like Credihealth and surveying hospitals. The medical assist companies have come up with user-friendly databases to help consumers comparison-shop for care. They guide the patient through the process of choosing a doctor to booking an appointment and walking the patient through the whole process . They also provide with cost estimates and complete health plans.