Table of Contents
Early and accurate diagnosis of dengue fever is essential for appropriate patient management. The course of treatment for dengue includes a diet full of fruits, cereals, and juices. This diet helps to fulfill the mineral and vitamin requirement of the patient. As the initial symptoms of dengue fever are similar to dengue fever, it is difficult to ascertain the cause at an early stage. However, in order to avoid confusion, below are mentioned symptoms of Dengue to look out for:
- High fever and headache for a prolonged period.
- Deep red rashes on your skin are an alarming sign that something is wrong.
- Severe joint and muscle pain in adults.
- A feeling of a broken bone is a major symptom of dengue fever.
- A runny nose is an initial symptom seen in children.
- Loss of appetite in children is a symptom of initial dengue phase.
- A slight cough and gum bleeding.
- Feeling lethargic and drowsy.
- Skin Rashes
Some of the rare symptoms of dengue include bleeding, low blood pressure and a severe reduction in platelet count. The diagnosis is followed up with a series of tests using molecular methods.
Let’s Get Tested!
Undergoing diagnostic tests help you ascertain the number and presence of parasites, antibodies, nucleic acids and antigens in the blood. Have a look below to know the commonly prescribed tests to diagnosis the disease faster.
TLC (Total Leucocyte Test)
Total leucocyte test is performed on a blood sample to measure the count of white blood cells and infection in your blood. The average cost of this test ranges from Rs. 40 to 250. Normal count of WBC ranges between 4000-11000 for all genders. All you need is to consult a good doctor and get your reports checked so that right medication is taken on time.
Prothrombin Time Test
This test is performed to measure the time taken by your plasma to form a blood clot. It is an outpatient procedure, generally performed at diagnostic labs. In case you don’t take any blood-thinning medicine plasma takes 10 – 13.5 seconds to clot. If the test results in this normal range of clot formation then probably you are safe from any bleeding disorder.
Coagulation Profile Test
Covering all the bleeding tendencies, this screening test examines the abnormal blood clotting in your body. It includes different components, take a look below.
- APTT (Activated partial thromboplastin time): This component measures the intrinsic pathway against the blood sample. It is increased by the process of therapies.
- Fibrinogen: This is a type of protein essential for the blot clot formation. The decrease in fibrinogen level is a clear sign of increased bleeding tendency.
- INR (International normalized ratio): This component measures the extrinsic pathway. Clotting pathway is known as the ” extrinsic pathway”.
- D-dimer: This is a non-specific component of clot breakdown. It increases with the increased clotting activities of the body
Blood Profile Test:
This test examines the count of foreign invaders like microorganisms, bacteria, and yeast in your blood. The presence of these pathogens in your blood can be a sign of severe infection. If the test results positive, this means you suffer from yeast or bacterial infection in the blood. This is not the end, after detection of pathogen type a susceptibility test is prescribed to decide the most suitable medication
Serology tests for dengue fever
Serology tests are the blood tests that examine the number of antibodies in your blood. Few serology tests related to dengue fever diagnosis are listed below. Have a look.
- NS1 Detection of Nonstructural Protein: Dengue nonstructural protein is an antigen that is found in your body when infected by dengue fever. It is detectable within 24 hours 10 days of the symptom presence.
- Indirect IgG ELISA: This test is used to detect IgG antibodies to dengue antigen serotypes (1,2,3 and 4) in serum as an aid to patient diagnosis and previous exposure to dengue fever.
Also, read about 8 Food Items To Help Recover From Dengue Faster
Call +91-8010-994-994 and talk to Credi Medical Experts for FREE. Get assistance in choosing the right specialist, compare treatment cost from various hospitals and get support in managing other hospital processes.