Watch Dr. Rangaraju Ranga Rao, Senior Consultant & Director, Medical Oncology, BLK Cancer Centre, speak about the comparison of various aspects of Cancer in India vs West. He elaborates on the late presentation of Cancer due to LACK in Awareness & Social STIGMA attached to cancer, especially Breast Cancer. He clarifies that CANCER IS CURABLE, if detected EARLY. Also, the quality of life can be improved with the help of new medicines.
Did you know?
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women all over the world, with an estimated 1.67 million new cancer cases diagnosed in 2012 (25% of all cancers). In India, more than 1 lakh women are diagnosed with Breast Cancer every year & out of every 2 diagnosed cases of Breast Cancer, one is dying. Though breast cancer is more common in females, but males are also at risk of developing breast cancer.
Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells form in the breast tissue. The early signs of breast cancer are –
- A lump or a thickening in or near the breast – In most cases the lump is not painful
- A lump or thickening in underarm area
- A change in size or shape of breast
- A dimple or puckering in skin of the breast
- Inward pulling of nipple
- Fluid, other than breast milk, especially if it is bloody
- Altered skin colour or texture of breast, nipple, areola
- Dimpling of skin of breast – like a skin of Orange