Who doesn’t love food? Chowing down an entire pizza pie or polishing off a mug of the sundae is something most of us just can’t resist. Food apart from being tasty is also the essential key to survival for every living organism. However to ensure that food mainly serves its purpose of keeping the body functioning well and not cause problems such as high blood pressure one should avoid certain types of food as much as possible. In this article, we will look at what exactly are the foods to avoid with high blood pressure.
Foods to Avoid In Order to Keep The Blood Pressure From Skyrocketing
The reason why we are discussing foods to avoid with high blood pressure is that it is one of the major factors which can be monitored and controlled actively. The main source of high blood pressure in foods is salt. Salt releases sodium in the bloodstream which during the filtration process in the kidneys adversely affects their efficiency leading to increased sodium in the blood and ultimately raised blood pressure. However, this can be avoided by moderating the consumption of the following foods with high blood pressure.
1. Alcoholic Beverages
It should come as no surprise that indulging in heavy alcohol consumption on a regular basis is a heavy “No-No”
- The downsides of alcohol among numerous other things are that it also increases blood pressure.
- If not completely avoided then the consumption should be strictly limited to just a single drink every day and that too is stretching the limit.
- One single drink is almost equal to 335 ml of beer
2. Canned Food Products
the “can” of a canned product contains an industrial chemical called BPA or bisphenol-A which is used to strengthen the container (or can in this case) and here’s how it contributes to the reason why canned products made the list of foods to avoid with high blood pressure:
- The structure of BPA has the ability to ape the behavior or hormones found in a human body, and thus it can adversely alter the bodily functions.
- In men and women, studies have shown that BPA can cause infertility.
- The risk of heart-related issues, as well as blood pressure, is increased to around 30 to 70%.
3. Premade Soup
We turn to a hot bowl of soup whenever we feel even a little under the weather but for a person with high blood pressure, it is to be strictly avoided.
- An average premade soup contains more than 700 gms of sodium which is almost the one-third amount of recommended sodium consumption per day. Therefore, one of the foods to avoid with high blood pressure is premade soup.
Also, read about: Calcium Rich Foods.
4. Red Meat
There are plenty of research and studies which prove that eating red meat on a regular basis has drastic effects on blood pressure. And, it isn’t only red meat, in fact any kind of meat for that matter can be responsible for increased blood pressure. However, this does not mean you should stop eating meat entirely. You can still enjoy a steak, but only in a moderated manner. And remember, “The juicy steak could put your life at stake”.
- For a food so rich in fat, bacon was begging to be put on this list. Fat dominant food is trivially one of the major food groups to be avoided with high blood pressure.
- Each bacon slice contains as much as 1.5 gms of fat with sodium amounting to as much as 90 gms. Which is why that fat strip of bacon may well be the tastiest treat on the planet but its consumption requires moderation.
Since we already discussed foods rich in fat, it is essential to also include cheese to this list. Eaten in small amounts, cheese can be a part of your daily diet. But, it’s important to note that cheese is high in sodium and fat. Therefore, for people suffering from high blood pressure cheese is likely to do more damage than good. So, whenever possible Don’t say “Cheese!”.
7. Frozen Food Products
There are certain frozen foods which you need to avoid, especially with high blood pressure like pizzas, burgers, and french fries not only because they contain high amounts of fat. But, also because an average frozen food item holds anywhere between 700 to 1,800 gms of sodium in just one serving which is almost the entire daily quota of recommended sodium intake.
8. Whole Milk
Well, the inclusion of cheese to the list should’ve given away the fact that whole milk was also going to be a part of the list of foods to avoid with high blood pressure. Whole milk contains saturated fats which can increase the cholesterol level in the bloodstream. This has proven to cause high blood pressure and various heart problems. A glass full of whole milk contains close to 10 gms of fat so if you haven’t already, try to avoid consumption of whole milk if you are suffering from high blood pressure.
This might put you in a “pickle” but that ticklish sensation a pickle causes in the mouth is all thanks to the uncanny amounts of salt and sugar in which it was fermented, needless to say, you might want to avoid grabbing that mango pickle to go with your “parantha” to keep your blood pressure in check.
Related reads: Foods That Lower Cholesterol.
10. Foods Rich in Sugar
Finally, the time has come and there’s no way to sugar coat it but we need to address the elephant in the room. Yes, almost all of us get those munchies and almost all of us have a sweet tooth, however, reaching for a sugary treat every time that you feel like snacking has to be avoided at any cost. Following are some sugary foods to avoid with high blood pressure.
- Cakes & Pastries
- Soft Drinks
Takeaway: Foods To Avoid With High Blood Pressure
While suffering from high blood pressure, you should keep your visits to a food court to a minimum and ensure that you don’t fall prey to the foods to avoid with blood pressure. Here’s a Food Quote you can take-away from this article, “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.”