Yes, its after Holi and yes, we’re still a colourful bunch. In this article, we discuss the numerous ways you can get rid of Holi colours in simple steps.
Please note: It is advisable not to go for any parlour treatment including facials or waxing till a day or two after holi as the skin is highly sensitive and irritable around this time.
- Do not attempt to wash the colours at first. Dust off the dry colours from your hair as water can make the colours spread out even more.
- Try deep conditioning your hair with a mixture of honey and olive oil.
- With one spoon of lemon juice and a cup of curd mixed well together – you will be able to use this to rub on the scalp and rinse off the colours.
- You could also apply a home-made shampoo for this purpose. The mixture includes amla, shikakai and reetha boiled together, and voila, a healthy homemade shampoo is ready.
- Do not take a bath is hot water. Colours are more likely to get washed off with lukewarm water.
- Do not scrub your body for too long. You can use lime to scrub areas with color patches.
- Glycerin is another remedy to aid in the removal of color from the skin.
Do-It-Yourself Face Masks
Normal skin: 2 tablespoons of masoor daal + one tablespoon of flour. Add rosewater and half teaspoon haldi and mix it into a paste. Keep the mask for 10-15 minutes before you wash it off.
Oily skin: 2 tablespoons of multani-mitti + 3-4 drops of glycerine. Mix with water to form a paste. Apply it on your face for 15 minutes before washing it off. If you don’t have glycerine, try adding a bit of pure orange juice instead.
Dry skin: 1 tablespoon of soybean flour + use milk to make a paste with glycerine and a pinch of sea salt. Use this mixture to scrub your face for about 5 minutes before washing you’re off.
Homemade Body Scrub
- 2 tablespoons of wheat bran (choker)
- 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder
- 1 tablespoon of rice flour
- few poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- few drops of honey and
- a mashed tomato
Make a paste of all the above ingredients and use it to scrub your body. In addition to using this paste to get rid of the holi colors from your skin, you can also use a papaya piece for the same purpose. These homemade pastes are harmless since they’re made of natural material, no chemicals involved.
Hope you benefit from using these DIY pastes to get rid of holi colours.