What is Hepatitis?
It is a liver disease that makes the liver swell and prevents it from functioning correctly.
- Hepatitis A: virus contracted through fecal – oral contact
- Hepatitis B: virus contracted through contaminated blood, blood products and needles
- Hepatitis C: virus contracted through contaminated blood, blood products, sexual contact, and contaminated intravenous needles
What are the Risk Factors?
- Having unprotected sex
- Delivering an infant while having hepatitis
- Share needles during IV use
What are Signs & Symptoms?
According to a top gastroenterologist in Gurgaon, typical symptoms include
- Abdominal pain
- Dark urine
How is it diagnosed?
- Blood tests
- Liver Biopsy
Is it curable? How can it be treated?
The cure for most forms of this medical condition rests in its prevention. For type A, there is no specific cure. For type B & C, the cure can be found in a drug called pegylated interferon-alpha.
Generally, treatment plan includes
- Anti-viral medications
Is it preventable? How?
Yes. Hepatitis A & B can be prevented by taking vaccines.Type A can also be prevented by maintaining a good sense of hygiene. Type B can be prevented by practicing safe sex. No vaccine exists for Hepatitis C.
Credihealth is India’s No.1 Medical Assistance company. Credihealth gives guidance to a patient from the first consultation through the entire hospitalization process. A team of in-house doctors and medical experts help the patient find the right doctor, book appointment, request cost estimate for procedures and manage admission & discharge processes.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you through.
Get FREE assistance from medical experts to select the best gastroenterologist