Have you ever had an unprotected sexual intercourse? Do you think you might have caught the HIV virus? Then you’ve come to the right place. We will discuss various stages of HIV symptoms in men. Starting with the early HIV symptoms in men, we will go in-depth with the issues and treatments. Most common way to get affected by HIV is through unprotected sexual intercourse. The best course of action is to get tested and seek medical advice.
What Is HIV And What Are Its Modes of Transmission?
HIV is short for Human Immunodeficiency Virus which is a malignant virus that affects the body’s ability to fight infections. The possible ways of becoming affected by this virus are:
- By coming in contact with infected blood.
- By coming in contact with infected semen or vaginal fluids.
- Having unprotected vaginal, anal or oral intercourse with an infected sexual partner.
- An infected mother can also transfer the virus to her infant.
- By using infected syringes or needles for consuming drugs.
If you are sexually active, also read about: Silent Virus – HPV.
What Are The HIV Symptoms In Men?
HIV symptoms in men, as well as women, can be quantified in three stages explained in detail below.
- The first and the earliest stage shows a lot of HIV symptoms in men and women which are rather detectable.
- In the second stage, no signs of the virus will appear and it remains undetected.
- The third and the final stage is where the signs are clearly visible and a matter of deep concern.
The symptoms of HIV in men as per the three stages are:
1. Stage One – Acute Illness
The initial stage is where you can see the early symptoms of HIV in men as well as women. The body will exhibit various issues such as:
- High Fever
- Sore Throats
- Occasional Headaches
2. Stage Two – Asymptotic Stage
This is the stage where the virus becomes inactive and there are no visible symptoms of HIV in men. By this point, the virus starts replicating itself and weakens the immune system.
- At this stage, the virus appears to be inactive.
- A person feels normal on the outside, with no signs of sickness.
- Inside the body, virus attacks the immune system making it vulnerable to various diseases.
3. Stage Three – Advanced Infection
At this stage, the HIV symptoms in men become clearly visible. This is when the virus has broken the immune system and made the body vulnerable to various diseases. The early symptoms of HIV in men at this stage include:
- Drastic weight loss
- Regular Night Sweats
- Persistent Coughs
Other symptoms of HIV in men include:
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Mouth and Skin Infections
- Other Illness and Diseases
At the third stage, HIV has damaged the immune system to a point where the patient gets affected by infections and diseases which the immune system can no longer fight against. This is the point where the patient is said to be suffering from AIDS (or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
Also, read about: Leptospirosis Meaning.
Take Away – Symptoms of HIV In Men
The best way to not get affected by HIV is by becoming aware of the risks and the causes. You can take away the following points from this article.
- The practice of safe sex is strictly advised.
- You should avoid the use of intravenous or any other recreational drugs.
- There is no cure for HIV yet so it is better to not catch the virus.
- While there is no cure, with the proper medication you can still lead a healthy and long life.