How to get rid of white hair? Or, do you want to know how to prevent white hair from spreading? These are the most commonly asked question. The occurrence of white hair with old age is obvious. So, it is understandable if you want to get rid of them. It is one of the most annoying outcomes of modern lifestyle. You feel slightly fearful at the appearance of your first white strand. But, when you notice them in your early 30s and sometimes, in your 20s, it is disheartening. It makes you uncomfortable and you start looking for ways to make your white hair black naturally. You look for remedies and treatments that might stop the inevitable.
Luckily there are several things you can do to cover up white hair, stop them from progressing or even reverse the process. Follow the article to find out the causes and some home remedies to get rid of white hair.
What Causes White Hair?
As we know that hair growth occurs when old cells are pushed out by the hair follicles due to the production of new cells. It occurs in three stages namely; growth (anagen), cessation (catagen), and rest (telogen). During the resting period, your hair touches its lifespan and falls out, and a new strand grows in its place. When your hair grows, it is injected with pigments that give it color. With age, the amount of pigment that is injected into each strand of hair gets reduced. In return, it makes the hair gray and eventually white.
Which factors determine the occurrence of white hair?
The occurrence of white is determined by the following factors –
- Genetics: This is the principal factor in defining at what age your hair loses pigment. For some, it can happen even before they reach 20. While, for others, the first strands of white appear later.
- Medical conditions: Various underlying medical conditions can also trigger loss of pigment in your hair. These include deficiency of vitamin B12 or a problem with the thyroid and/or pituitary gland.
- Melanin deficiency: A deficiency of melanin is also one of the leading causes of hair whitening.The production of melanin depends upon appropriate nutrition and protein supplements. The lack of these nutrients causes melanin to fall below acceptable levels.
- Hormones: Hormones have a huge impact on the pigment of the hair. An imbalance in these chemical agents can cause your hair to turn white.
- Stress: Stress is also a leading contributor to hair whitening. In today’s scenario, along with excessive intake of alcohol and junk food, hectic schedules are a major cause of premature graying.
- Extrinsic factors: External factors like climate, pollution, and exposure to certain chemicals can also change your hair color. These factors speed up the process of aging.
How to get rid of white hair? Home remedies
White hair is the result of your hair losing its pigment. When there is a significant reduction in the pigment or absolutely no pigment, the hair turns white. The exact cause of this is not known. Below are some tips which can be of great benefit.
- Black tea: This might sound a bit unusual. But yes both black tea and coffee, when applied on the hair regularly could be a potent natural hair darkener and can prevent white hair formation. Rinse your hair with black tea until all the strands have been coated. Black tea contains tannic acid, which pigments the hair over time, restoring its dark black color.
- Almond paste: Did you know that almonds are a great way to prevent white hair. White hair is caused due to loss of hair pigments, as well as the buildup of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicle. This formation of hydrogen peroxide can be kept at bay by applying a paste of ground almonds.
- Consume biotin-rich food: Biotin is a vitamin that plays a very important role in maintaining hair health. It makes hair stronger thicker and shinier. Try to include biotin-rich food in your meals if you want to get rid of white hair and falling hair.
- Increase your vitamin B12 intake: A deficiency of vitamin B12 could also turn your hair white. Consume sufficient amounts of Vitamin B12 by maintaining a balanced diet.
- Incorporate antioxidant-rich food in your diet: Did you know, your diet may help prevent the occurrence of white hair. Antioxidant-rich foods reduce the process of oxidation, which stimulates the whitening of hair. Loss of pigmentation can be enhanced due to oxidative stress. Loss of pigment means a reduction in melanin production. When you eat antioxidant-rich foods the process of decreasing melanin naturally reduces. Just make sure that you include enough antioxidant-rich food in every meal.
- Onion juice: Surprised! Yes, onion juice can help to get rid of white hair. Onion juice is rich in catalase. Catalase is an enzyme that is primarily responsible for darkening hair from the roots. Onion juice is a good source of copper, Vitamin C, magnesium, Phosphorus, Sulphur, Vitamin B, and more importantly Biotin and folate. All these vitamins and minerals are very essential for the blackening of hair.
- Combination of coconut oil and lemon: We have been using coconut oil since childhood to nourish our hair. But, did you know that a combination of coconut oil and lemon helps in preventing the formation of white hair? This combo also removes chronic dandruff issues and makes the scalp healthier.
- Sesame for white hairs: Sesame has some compounds which help in promoting melanocyte activity, an important process for the pigmentation of hair. The process of melanocytes promotes melanin, which is the reason for black hair. When melanin decreases, your hair also starts leaving its natural color. So sesame is helpful for hair growth.
- Quit smoking: The most important factor that causes white hairs is smoking. Smoking has adverse effects on your body and could be contributing to white hair. Research studies show that smokers have a higher chance of getting white hair than non-smokers.
- Keep thyroid levels under control: The thyroid gland has an impact on all the vital functions of your body. An underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism, can cause premature white hair. If you notice sudden white hair, it is essential to monitor your thyroid levels.
- Yoga for white hair: Here we will discuss some of the most beneficial yoga asanas which are highly effective in controlling hair fall and preventing whitening of hair. You can practice some of these asanas:
- Foods that reduce white hair: Research studies document that about 90% of the cases of premature discoloring of hair is due to aging and improper diet plan. So let’s talk about some foods which can help you get rid of white hair and help in maintaining great hair health. Here’s a list of foods that help keep your hair pigmented:
- Berries: These are rich in vitamin C
- Shellfish – It contains zinc which helps keep your hair pigmented
- Carrots – Rich in vitamin A
- Spinach – Helps in the production of melanin.
- Eggs – Rich in vitamin B12
- Beans – Rich source of protein
- Sunflower seeds – Rich in antioxidants and minerals
- Walnuts – It is a rich source of copper, which helps in melanin production.
Can White Hair Turn Black Again?
It is natural for your hair to lose its pigmentation. With the correct diagnosis and treatment, you can turn white hair into black. But if the problem is genetic or age-related, it is unlikely to reverse the process. It is possible, however, to slow it down with a balanced diet and a good hair care regime. The consistent use of these remedies can help slow and reverse hair fall. You will see visible results, but you will have to patient.
With the right diagnosis and treatments, the progression of white hair can be stopped and reversed in some instances. By following a well-balanced diet and good hair care you can prevent white hair.
Related read: Solutions for Premature Greying Hair?
- 6 Effective Home Remedies For White Hair (https://food.ndtv.com/beauty/6-effective-home-remedies-for-white-hair-1445961) Assessed on 11th Aug 2019
- Top 8 Natural Ways To Reduce White Hair! (https://www.herzindagi.com/beauty/natural-remedies-to-reduce-white-hair-article-80482) Assessed on 12th Aug 2019
- Causes and Ways to reduce White Hair Naturally (https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/causes-and-tips-for-reducing-white-hai) Assessed on 1st May 2019