What is Infertility? What are its signs and symptoms?
Infertility is the inability to get pregnant after a long period of trying. It usually happens after a year of unprotected sex.
Symptoms of infertility include:
- Painful or abnormal periods
- Skin changes
- Weight gain
- Pain during sex
- Milky white discharge from nipples unrelated to breast feeding
- Small, firm testicles (men)
- Problems with erections and ejaculations(men)
What causes infertility in Men?
- Hormone problems
- Genetic abnormalities
- Varicocele — an abnormal collection of bulging veins above the testicle; they’re the most common cause of correctable male
What causes infertility in Women?
- Irregular ovulation
- Poly cystic ovary syndrome
- Diminished egg reserve
Which risk factors affect men & women?
- Excessive tobacco intake
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Extreme weight gain or loss
- Excessive emotional stress
How can it be diagnosed?
- Semen Analysis (men)
- Genetic testing
- Testicular biopsy (men)
- Hormone testing
- Imaging tests (women)
- Ovarian hormone testing (women)
Who treats infertility and when to consult? What are the treatment options?
Watch Dr Suneeta Mittal, a renowned gynecologist from Fortis Hospital Gurgaon talking about Right Time for Couples to consult doctor for Infertility Treatment.
The treatment for male includes:
- Correction of hormonal imbalances using drugs
- Varicoceles are repaired with surgery to block off the abnormal veins
The two most commonly used methods are:
- Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
This write-up was contributed by Credihealth content team:
Credihealth is a medical assistance company that gives guidance to a patient from the first consultation through the entire hospitalization process. A team of in-house Credihealth doctors helps the patient find the right doctor, book appointment, request cost estimate for procedures and manage admission & discharge processes.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you through.
Get FREE assistance from medical experts to select the best gynecologist for your treatment.