Table of Contents
The relationship between today’s generation and the internet is inseparable. People nowadays, especially the youth are extremely addicted to the online world of games, social media and surfing. In spite of the internet being perceived as a boon, excessive use of the same can lead to some people playing video games on the Internet, not for a few minutes but for hours or some just can’t stop checking their Facebook or WhatsApp notification and many of them are addicted to online shopping as well. Beware if you’re that “someone” who’s addicted to the internet then you have the ‘Internet Addiction Disorder or iDisorder’. Let us understand what this disorder is all about.
What is Internet Addiction Disorder?
Internet addiction disorder is something which is spreading pretty similar to a forest fire on a global level. It is often also referred to as Problematic Internet Use or iDisorder. Under this disorder, people tend to use internet excessively. The most troubling thing about this disorder is that you’re entire life revolves and depends upon technology.
Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD)includes many phenomena like physical impairment, functional impairment and excessive dependence on the Internet. Under this disorder, people start getting more and more involved with technology rather than physical interactions or relationship as they feel free and comfortable in the online environment rather than a physical one.
There is an estimated 25% increase in the size of internet users across the world in every three months. According to a survey, there are around 61% people who themselves agree with them being addicted to the internet. An estimated 6% of people realize the fact that their internet addiction is creating problems in their relationships and believe that internet itself is more addictive than any drug or caffeine.
Types of IAD
The internet addiction disorder can be broadly classified into three major categories, which are as following:
- Email/Text Messaging:
The constant messaging freaks around us are surely addicted to the internet. As they love to read, write and reply to comments or blogs available on the internet. Bloggers have found a solace on the internet with such a wide audience available for receiving responses.
- Excessive Gaming or Surfing
Games which are provided to the users with free registration are one of the trending addictions on the internet. In fact, there are several types of community games in which many users can team up to play and earn money. They are so provoking that users are always occupied with it.
- Sexual preoccupations
Cybersex addiction deals with a compulsive viewing of inappropriate sexual videos, pictures or such files. Making use of excessive adult video or adult chat services is considered to be a pornographic addiction.
What Causes iDisorders?
Internet dependency disorder is an addiction which seems pleasurable to the ones who preserve it for themselves. It is the result of dopamine hormones in the human body which triggers and promotes the pleasurable experience, which in turn slowly converts into an addiction. This may happen under the following circumstances:
- Some of the researchers believe that people who suffer from interpersonal difficulties and stress tend to find their solace in the internet world. As they are able to express themselves more openly and can hope to avoid the harsh reality and live in their imaginary life.
- Internet disorder has been found co-related with damaged self-esteem, which may cause Bulimia Nervosa, this is a form of Addiction which is caused by the constantly comparing to others on their social media feeds or timelines.
- Excessively internet addiction in the form of gaming could exceptionally impair a student’s brain. The online gamers live their gaming world only, these people are incapable of prioritizing their own life and setting up a particular goal though accomplishing it.
Internet Addiction Disorder Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Internet Addiction Disorder include the following signs:
- Being defensive whenever asked to spend less time on the internet.
- Easily losing track of time while surfing internet
- Sacrificing other necessary work for being online, chatting or on online games
- Getting a feeling of Euphoria while and after using internet
- Isolating oneself and becoming introvert only in order to use internet
- Online gambling games are highly addictive and are the cause of material distortion in humans.
Some of the physical symptoms indicating internet addiction disorder would include:
- Poor personal hygiene
- Neck pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Weight gain or sudden weight loss
- Vision problems and dry eyes
Most of these treatments related to the internet dependency disorder would be deal with correcting their psychological state. There are several sorts of treatments that can be done in order to cope up with internet addiction disorder. These treatments include:
- Art therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Behavior modification therapy
- Recreation therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Family or group therapy
- Reality therapy.
Though researchers have revealed that internet dependency disorders are likely to be treated by providing the medication for antidepressant and anti-anxiety. Yet these disorder requires a lot more research on its core reasons and mental functionality.
As its quite difficult to categorize them under an impulse control disorder or an obsessive-compulsive disorder or an addiction. The treatment of Internet Addiction Disorder and Internet Gaming Disorder is done through therapy which is designed to help up the individual to learn, how to control their thoughts and feeling.