When to see an ENT Doctor?

An ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist is a doctor who is trained in providing medical and surgical treatment for ailments of the ears, nose, throat and related structures like the neck and head.

An ENT doctor carries the expertise of diagnosis and treatment in the following seven areas:

Otology or Neurotology

This includes all ailments of the ear, including cancers of the different ear sections, and nerve systems that maintain balance and hearing.

Paediatric Otolaryngology

This involves all types of medical and surgical management related to ears, nose and throat in children.

Head, Neck and Face

ENT doctors also deal with surgeries of the thyroid and parathyroid, and of tumours and cancers in the neck and head.


ENT specialists deal with all disorders of the nose, nasal passages and sinuses.


This involves treating disorders of the throat, including any issues related to voice.


This includes inhalant allergies of the upper respiratory system.

Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Some ENT doctors may specialise in treating reconstructive, functional and cosmetic abnormalities of the face and neck.

Consulting and ENT Doctor

People experiencing symptoms for the following conditions should consult an ENT specialist:

  • Ear infection
  • Ear, nose or throat injury
  • Difficulty in balancing the body
  • Difficulty in hearing
  • Ringing sound in the ear (Tinnitus)
  • Accumulation of earwax
  • Tonsil or adenoid infection
  • Dizziness or vertigo
  • Pain in ear, nose or throat
  • Swimmer’s ear
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Asthma
  • Allergy
  • Cleft palate
  • Sinusitis
  • Visible tumor in ear, nose or throat
  • Nose bleed
  • Nasal congestion
  • Difficulty speaking or voice issues
  • Difficulty ins wallowing
  • Sore throat
  • Difficulty in sense of smell
  • Hoarseness in voice
  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  • Congenital ear disorders


View Top ENT doctors in India




“Sinusitis – When To Call a Doctor,” WebMD.com, https://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/sinusitis-when-to-call-a-doctor

“What Is an Otolaryngologist?” ENTnet.com, American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, https://www.entnet.org/content/what-otolaryngologist

“When to See an Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist,” EverydayHealth.com, Krisha McCoy, https://www.everydayhealth.com/ear-nose-throat/specialist.aspx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Step 1

Get FREE Medical Assistance