Table of Contents Hide
- What is Wisdom Tooth? What is Impacted Wisdom Tooth?
- When is the removal of Wisdom tooth necessary?
- Who can perform removal of Wisdom tooth?
- How is extraction of Wisdom tooth removal carried out?
- What are the care guidelines to be followed after removal?
- What are the complications of removal?
What is Wisdom Tooth? What is Impacted Wisdom Tooth?
The third and ultimate set of molar that grows in an individual’s mouth at the end of the teenage years or during the early twenties is called wisdom tooth. It grows in the back corners of your jaw, such as two at the top and two at the bottom.
However, like other types of teeth, problems may also happen to the wisdom tooth. One of them is the impacted wisdom tooth. Generally, Impacted Wisdom Tooth is present at the back of the mouth that do not have enough room to emerge in a normal way. A normal adult can have four wisdom teeth, two on the top, two on the bottom. But, a top dentist in Delhi say,
Impacted wisdom teeth cause pain, impact other teeth and cause other dental problems. They may also appear harmless. But, they are more prone to tooth decay and gum disease than the rest of the teeth.
That said, many dental professionals usually advise their patients with impacted wisdom teeth to have them removed as soon as possible.
When is the removal of Wisdom tooth necessary?
Aside from pain and swelling, the removal of wisdom tooth is necessary if the following symptoms are present:
- Severe decay of the affected tooth
- Infectious soft tissue in the lower tooth
- Damage to surrounding teeth
- Affecting the gum
- Extensive tooth decay
On the other hand, its removal is not necessary in the event that the wisdom tooth is:
- Fully erupted
- Positioned correctly with respect to the opposite tooth
Who can perform removal of Wisdom tooth?
The wisdom tooth can be removed by either the General dentist or Oral Surgeon. Most probably, the procedure is done in the hospital or clinic as a day care procedure. So, if you’re planning to get your problematic wisdom tooth removed, you can check out some reliable dental clinics that offer safe and high-quality wisdom teeth removal in Perth or wherever you may be located. They have the experience, expertise, and skills to safely remove your wisdom tooth and, in turn, save you from more pain, swelling, and other similar complications.
How is extraction of Wisdom tooth removal carried out?
The extraction of a wisdom tooth depends on its position. If it has emerged out fully, like any other tooth, it can be easily removed. This is commonly called a simple wisdom tooth extraction. With this procedure, the dentist will apply a numbing agent to numb your gums and ensure painless tooth removal. Once the numbing agent takes effect, they will loosen and extract the tooth using some tools.
However, if it is present under the gums, an incision has to be made so as to extract the tooth. This procedure is called surgical extraction. It is usually necessary to expose the hidden tooth, and once it’s extracted, the dentist will perform some stitches on the gums.
Moreover, wisdom teeth removal may not only be done using a single procedure, depending on the situation. For instance, another way is to remove it in several steps and not in a single procedure.
What are the care guidelines to be followed after removal?
After the removal, you may experience bleeding in the affected area. Although it’s normal, some care tips need to be observed to speed up healing and avoid potential complications. Some care guidelines to follow can include:
- Avoid rinsing of the mouth for a day following the removal
- Avoid using commercial mouth rinsing liquids.
- Stay on a liquid diet (ice creams, puddings, powder drinks) for a couple of days and then move on to easily chewable foods. Most of all, stay away from crispy foods.
- Chew far away from the extracted tooth.
- Make sure to brush the teeth and floss it. Avoid doing the same near the extracted tooth.
- Rinsing the affected tooth with warm, salty water twice a day is a good way to ease the recovery.
What are the complications of removal?
- Dry Socket – A common complication that occurs when either a blood clot has failed to form in the extracted tooth socket or else the blood clot that was formed has been dislodged.
- Paresthesia – Paresthesia is a complication that is less frequent compared to dry socket. On certain occasions, these nerves can be bruised or damaged during the process of removing the wisdom tooth which are present in the jawbone leading to this condition.
How much does extraction cost?
The cost of wisdom tooth extraction can vary anywhere between Rs. 3000 – 6000. In most cases, the cost depends on the hospital or dental center that is being considered, and the medical condition.
Credihealth is India’s No.1 Medical Assistance company. Credihealth gives guidance to a patient from the first consultation through the entire hospitalization process. A team of in-house doctors and medical experts help the patient find the right doctor, book appointment, request cost estimate for procedures and manage admission & discharge processes.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you through.
Get FREE assistance from medical experts to select the best dentist.