Heart diseases refers to a situation where the blood vessels are blocked by deposition of fat, making it difficult for blood to flow through smoothly, thus leading to heart attack or stroke. Other conditions, such as those that affect your heart’s muscle, valves or rhythm, also fall in the category of cardiovascular diseases.
It occurs when, blood flow is completely stopped to the heart due a blockage in the artery. It causes that part of the heart, which has stopped receiving blood to die. This condition is known as Atherosclerosis. After the first attack, a person can continue to live normally incorporating a few lifestyle changes recommended by the cardiologist. The doctor suggests diet plans and precautionary measures based on the severity of the heart attack. But, attacks after the first one may prove to be fatal.
It is a condition in which the heart is unable to pump as much blood as is required by the body, to maintain the metabolism rate. Therefore, even though the heart continues to beat, the body’s requirement for blood and oxygen is not met properly.
The heart when beats either too fast, too slow or irregularly, it is termed as Arrhythmia. It affects the efficiency of the heart, thus making it under perform. Due to irregular heart beat many parts of the body may not receive the required amount of blood and oxygen.
Heart Valve Problems
When the heart valve does not function properly, in may lead to any of the following heart diseases:
- Valvular Stenosis: It is a condition in which the valve doesn’t open properly due to stiff or fused leaflets, thus limiting the amount of blood that flows through it. This can be caused due to valve stiffening or thickening.
- Valvular Regurgitation: A condition in which the valve doesn’t close properly and thus leads to excessive blood flow. This condition is commonly known as Leaky Valve.
- Mitral Valve Prolapse: When the valve leaflets prolapse back into the upper chamber, the valve is unable to close properly. This causes an upward flow of blood, back into the upper chamber.
- Biscupid Aortic Valve Disease: This occurs if a person is born with an aortic valve that has two flaps instead of three.
Get cost estimate of Heart Valve Replacement in India from trusted hospitals.
Congenital Heart Disease
Congenital implies birth, thus includes the defect in one or more structures of the heart or blood vessels that are present since birth. The symptoms for a congenital heart disease start to appear at birth or during the childhood years but in many cases they don’t appear until adulthood. The reason for their occurrence is not known yet but heredity and fetal infections are considered to play an important role.
Read about Congenital Heart Disease Symptoms
This medical condition is related to the muscles of the heart. The people with this heart condition have abnormally enlarged, thickened or stiffened heart walls. This kind of abnormality weakens the ability of the heart to pump blood. If not treated on time, it may lead to arrhythmia or heart failure.
It is a type of infection that causes inflation in the lining of the heart. It is a very rare type of heart disease.
Those that suffer from the dilation or dissection of the aorta, have an increasing risk of future life threatening events like:
- Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- High blood pressure
- Genetic conditions such as Marfan Syndrome
- Connective tissue disorders (that affect the strength of the blood vessel walls) such as, scleroderma and osteogenesis imperfecta.
Read about Aortic Aneurysm Repair
It is the disease associated with the circulatory system. It tends to affect the blood flow to the brain and the working of the arteries.
These are the various types of common heart diseases that can develop in a person’s body. When the symptoms for a heart problem are felt, the doctor follows a certain set of diagnostics to determine the problem and then finalize of the type of treatment procedure.
List of Trusted Cardiologists at Fortis Hospitals
This write-up was contributed by Credihealth content team:
Credihealth is a medical assistance company that gives guidance to a patient from the first consultation through the entire hospitalization process. A team of in-house Credihealth doctors helps the patient find the right doctor, book appointment, request cost estimate for procedures and manage admission & discharge processes.
Share your comments and queries below and we will be happy to guide you.
Get FREE medical assistance to find the best cardiologist from trusted hospital.