It is easy to ignore the health and well-being of eyes – a pair of small ‘almond-shaped’ delicate organs of sight. Most eye problems go unnoticed until one starts experiencing challenge in seeing. According to a survey by the American Optometrist Association (AOA), 85% of people valued their sight as the most prized sense, but less than half of this group had an eye exam in the past 2-3 years.
Many people ignore preventive care first and then suddenly wake up to the nee when their vision reduces.
Here are a few tips that will keep your eyesight healthy and ward off age-related eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataract.
- Eat healthy foods that are a rich source of beta carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc and vitamin – A, C & E. These include green leafy vegetables, carrots, cold-water fish like salmon and tuna, eggs, nuts, beans and oranges.
- Give up smoking, if you do. It has been found that people who smoke are more prone to cataracts, optic nerve damage and macular degeneration.
- Protect from ultraviolet rays by wearing sunglasses that block UVA and UVB whenever you step out into the sun.
- Avoid staring at the computer screen for too long. After every 20 minutes look at a distant object for 20 seconds. Also, adjust the lighting to avoid glares on the screen.
- Go for regular eye check-ups. This is very important for those in their 40s when the majority of the problem began.
- Those who use contact lens should always change the solution after each use and keep the lens case in a cool and dry area to avoid any eye infection.
- Drink lots of water to keep eyes hydrated.
- If any irritant gets into the eyes, don’t rub them rather use saline water to rinse them properly.
- A good home remedy is keeping slices of fresh cucumber or cotton balls soaked in rose water for 15 minutes.
- Surprisingly, drinking 1-2 cups of tea a day also help to keep eyes hydrated.
- Exercise regularly. This helps improve blood circulation and increase oxygen levels to the eyes.
- Give rest to your eyes by taking a break from work and closing them for few minutes and splashing water.
- Never touch your eyes with dirty hands.
Credihealth to the rescue! All the leading hospitals in Delhi/NCR are associated with us. Call us now for any health-related query! Credihealth is always happy to help!
image source: metroeye