Ciliary muscles control the eye movements and vision. Stronger eye muscles mean healthier eyes. Just like you workout in the gym to build body muscles and stay healthy, there are eye exercises that can be done to strengthen eye muscles, improve focus and coordinate eye movements.
Many people have even got rid of glasses by practising vision therapy. Eye exercises are particularly useful for those who complain of eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, increase sensitivity to bright light, tired eyes and difficulty in sustaining attention; wear contact lenses/glasses or for maintaining general wellbeing of eyes.
- Splash your eyes with lukewarm water before you go to bed in the night and after you wake up in the morning. This will remove foreign matter causing blurred vision.
- Palming technique – It is a very beneficial method for those who do close work for very long hours. While working on computer or desk, take a break every 20 minutes to look at a distant object for at least 10 seconds. This will comfort your eye muscles which get tired of focusing on close up work for long.
- Squeezing – Whenever your eyes feel stiff or dry, close them shut tightly for at least 5-10 seconds. Repeat this for five times. It’ll help to re-moisturise your eyes.
- Rotation – Look up and slowly move your eyeballs in circles – five times clockwise and once counter-clockwise. This will loosen up the tightened ocular muscles.
- Eye massage – A gentle massage outside the ridge of your eye sockets help improve blood circulation to eyes which enhance oxygen flow.
- Figure of 8 – Try tracing a figure of 8 in air with your eyes slowly. It helps to improve flexibility of eye muscles.
- Zoom in-out – Stretch out your arm with your thumb lifted up in a ‘thumbs up’ position. Focus on your thumb, bring your thumb closer to your eyes and then stretch it out. Do this for a few minutes throughout the day. This exercise will help improve focusing skills.
- Apart from eye exercises, right nutrition is also important. Include nutrients like vitamins – A, C and E, minerals, beta-carotene and lutein to give boost to your eyes’ strength.
Credihealth to the rescue! All the leading hospitals in Delhi/NCR are associated with us. Call us now for any health-related query! Credihealth is always happy to help!
Image source: stroke4carers