Table of Contents
- Why is Prozac considered for Anxiety?
- Is Prozac for Anxiety safe & effective?
- Advantages of Taking Fluoxetine or Prozac –
- Disadvantages of Taking Fluoxetine –
- How quickly does Prozac work for Anxiety?
- What are the parameters on which the Prozac dose is decided?
- Side Effects of Fluoxetine –
- What Medication Should You Avoid with Prozac?
- The risk associated with Prozac for Anxiety –
- What are the precautions you should take while on Prozac treatment?
- Frequently Asked Questions –
- The conclusion –
The daunting life and back-breaking work have filled our minds with worries and stress. The daily hustle sometimes ends in a panic state to meet deadlines or achieve goals. According to the World Economic Forum, 4% of the total population suffers from Anxiety. However, scientists have discovered a medicine that is associated with anxiety disorder. Is Prozac for Anxiety? Is it safe? Often it makes people feel confused. Continue reading to know everything about Anxiety medicine. The first line of treatment for social anxiety and panic disorder is Prozac. Fluoxetine (Prozac) comes in the class of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI). This medicine also treats major depressive disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Why is Prozac considered for Anxiety?
This has been proven that Prozac shows an effective result on long-term anxiety patients. Why is the first choice — because Fluoxetine (Prozac) is not a habit-forming medication.
Prozac tablets have the approval to relieve anxiety symptoms and consider Prozac on top of Alprazolam and Diazepam.
Is Prozac for Anxiety safe & effective?
Prozac is usually considered a safe and effective first-line treatment choice for those suffering from social anxiety disorders. The medicine improves mood, regulates emotions, improves sleep quality, and increases hunger by boosting the availability of serotonin in the brain.
However, other medicines may have few side effects, so it is always wise to consult with a doctor before starting the medicine. Your doctor will also guide you on how to take Prozac and what other medication to avoid.
Also, Read Can We use Clonidine for Anxiety Treatment?
Advantages of Taking Fluoxetine or Prozac –
- Convenient to use
- Oral medication
- Non-habit forming
- Feel more relaxed
- Less Anxiety
- Improved sleep pattern
- Enthusiastic about life
- Increased focus
- Energy will boost
Once in Day, enough to take Prozac medications.
Disadvantages of Taking Fluoxetine –
- Fueled suicidal thoughts
- Not approved for generalized Anxiety
- May worsen the anxiety symptoms
If we consider all this, we can conclude that Prozac is best for Anxiety, bulimia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
How quickly does Prozac work for Anxiety?
Prozac for Anxiety may take 2-6 weeks to show effect or relief from Anxiety. You must take it for at least six months to a year.
The Prozac tablet regulates a person’s mood by increasing the serotonin level in the brain. Serotonin immensely influences mood, sleep, and behavior. In the end, a person starts to feel good. If you want to make yourself calm, then Prozac is the best tablet for those suffering from Anxiety.
What are the parameters on which the Prozac dose is decided?
There are four parameters that your doctor will decide when and what dose to prescribe. Let’s find out the four factors:
- Condition of your illness
- Medical history
Never try to take Prozac by doing the calculation on your phone. It can severely affect you. Additionally, doctors prescribe starting doses of Fluoxetine of 10 mg/day. It will take weeks and months to show results that depend upon the degree of illness.
Side Effects of Fluoxetine –
Some side effects are associated with Prozac, and some severe side effects need immediate treatment. However, first, you should know which side effects you need to react to or not.
Less bothersome side effects of Fluoxetine
- Dry mouth
- Trouble Sleeping
- Blurred vision
- Loss of Appetite
- Sexual Problem
Some serious Side effects of Fluoxetine –
- Serotonin Syndrome – Prozac accumulates a high amount of serotonin in the brain, which could be hazardous.
- Allergic Reaction – hypersensitivity to the components of Prozac tablets can cause severe adverse reactions. For instance, rashes, hives, and swelling around the face and mouth.
- Bruising and Bleeding – selective serotonin reputable inhibitors prevent the entry of platelets which results in bruising and bleeding.
- Mania Symptoms – Prozac tablets show a shifting of mood intensely.
- Seizures – the antidepressant tablets increase the amount of glutamatergic neurotransmission with convulsions.
- Low salt levels in the blood – the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and sodium electrolytes, result in headaches, confusion, and weakness.
Additional side effects are
- Extreme Anxiety
- High Fever
- Trouble Breathing
- Suicidal Thoughts
What Medication Should You Avoid with Prozac?
The medication which definitely should be avoided while taking Prozac are:
MAO Inhibitors –
The Prozac drug severely reacts with MAO Inhibitors and shows high-grade fever, changes in blood pressure, heart rate, confusion, and loss of consciousness.
If you are taking thioridazine, then you may increase heart rhythm problems. Therefore, telling your doctor before taking any additional medicines is a must.
Pimozide causes severe changes in the heart rate. That will lead to heart problems while taking Prozac.
Other medications which may cause drug interactions are:
- CNS – opioids, benzodiazepines
- St. John’s Wart
- NSAIDs – Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen
- Anticonvulsants – Carbamazepine, Phenytoin
The risk associated with Prozac for Anxiety –
The Prozac tablet has a black box labeled that means:
- Prozac could increase the severity of depression.
- It can fuel suicidal thoughts.
- There may be changes in the behavior.
- The most vulnerable group is children and adolescents under 25 years.
- There will be a loss of appetite.
- Weight loss
What are the precautions you should take while on Prozac treatment?
People who already have a medical history should not take Prozac. The illnesses are given below. If you match any of these, do tell your doctor :
- Liver Disease
- Bipolar 1 Disorder
- Blood Clotting Disorder
Additionally, if you are a pregnant or lactating mother, always tell your doctor before starting any medication.
Frequently Asked Questions –
How much time does Prozac take to show effective results for Anxiety?
Prozac takes a long time to show results; however, in the initial condition of the disease, it will take 2 to 6 weeks.
On the other hand, it may go up to 6 or more than a year.
Does Prozac completely cure my Anxiety?
Prozac tablet is the first-line treatment for Anxiety and shows effective results in minimizing the symptoms of Anxiety.
However, the treatment depends upon the prognosis of the disease.
What types of Anxiety does Prozac treat?
There are a couple of anxiety disorders where Prozac is the first choice of doctors are:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
The conclusion –
If I consider everything, the choice of Prozac is supreme because of the effective effects shown in anxious people. Everyone has encountered Anxiety in a lifetime; however, when it tries to hinder their daily routine. Then it is a must to visit a doctor and never prescribe any tablets to yourself. A psychologist should only take Prozac for Anxiety after the complete examination. The associated side effects should be monitored side by side at home also. So you can ventilate your symptoms easily. Always be extra cautious if you are dealing with children and adolescents. I’m hoping this information helps you decide whether “Is Prozac for anxiety disorder treatment?”.