To understand about short term memory loss, we need to know what is Short Term Memory. Short term memory is a kind of sketch pad for the brain. It’s also known as working memory. Short term memory stores small bits of information for very less time.
Short term memory is present in the prefrontal cortex of the brain. Usually, it stores information for 15-30 minutes. In the case of short term memory loss, the patient can remember the incidents of 10 years back. But, the same person will not be able to recall the things happened 10 minutes back.
Short term memory loss may cause because of several reasons including aging, depression, smoking and so on. To overcome this disorder, various treatments are available. Never neglect these symptoms and consult the best specialist.
Functions of Short Term Memory
Whatever we do is always stored in our short term memory. We use short term memory throughout the day. Unconsciously, every small thing gets stored in the short term memory for a short span of time.
- Remembering some numbers or meeting date temporarily.
- Recalling someone’s name you just met.
- Recall some conversation you had with your friend or peer.
All these kinds of information disappear after a few seconds or minutes. In other words, it is necessary to discard the un-useful information from the brain for its better functioning.
Capacity of Short Term Memory
Short term memory is a temporary memory that store and discards pieces of information automatically. Every information has to pass through short term memory to be stored in long term memory. Whereas, long term memory stores information for a lifetime.
For better understanding, you can relate your memory with the computer. RAM is the short term memory and computer’s data storage works as long term memory.
Causes of Short Term Memory Loss
Short term memory is caused by several reasons. It could happen because of stress, depression or lack of nutrients. The blood circulation of the brain decides the level of short term memory.
In some cases, short term memory loss is progressive. Progressive short term memory loss means the condition of a person gets worse. Such patients may eventually suffer from long term memory loss.
Some Of the Short Term Memory Loss Causes are –
- Medical conditions
- Due to some injuries or incident
- Excessive usage of Alcohol, tobacco, or drugs
- Depression and stress
- Lack of nutritional
Short term memory loss may be the result of various treatments and medical conditions. There are some medical issues that may cause short-term memory loss –
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amnestic syndrome
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Brain injuries and diseases
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Head trauma
Also, read about: Epilepsy Causes and Risk Factors
Symptoms of Short Term Memory Loss
The beginning of short term memory loss may show symptoms like forgetting about the meal, misplaced keys and so on. These symptoms are considered as mild forgetfulness. Mild forgetfulness is not a high alert disorder. We should start the treatment immediately after observing the initial symptoms.
Some of the initial symptoms of short term memory loss are:
- Not able to recall a person’s name you met a few minutes back.
- Misplacing things
- Not being able to remember the thing you just read.
- Forgetting why you entered the room.
- Forgetting the car key
Similarly, there are many other symptoms that need to be taken seriously. These symptoms need special medical attention.
- Forgetting the location of your home.
- Not being able to remember day to day activities.
- Repeatedly asking the same question.
- Don’t remember whether you had your food or not.
Treatment for Short Term Memory Loss
There are several prescriptions and medical processes available for the treatment of short term memory loss. The Doctors will provide treatment but they are not sure about the recovery time.
There are some general and common ways to improve your short term memory loss. The basic methods of curing short term memory loss are:
- Physical activities: Physical activities increase the blood flow in the whole body including the brain. It keeps you active and sharpens your memory. These physical activities may include aerobics, vigorous aerobic like jogging and many more.
- Mentally active: Physical activities keep your body in shape and mental activities help in balancing mental activities. Try to solve crossword puzzles, playing chess, and other games.
- Be organized: You should keep yourself, your home and office organized. Try to do every task in an organized manner. It will make things easier and smooth.
- Have a good sleep: Having a good sleep prepares you for a busy day. It provides good rest to your brain and gives time to recollect the energy you require to manage the load.
- Stress-Free: Stress is one of the major reasons that causes short term memory loss. Not taking stress makes your life easier and balanced. The memory of a stress-free person will be sharp than a stressed person. The brain of a stress-free person can work more effectively.
- Maintain a healthy diet: A well-balanced diet is a solution for every kind of health issues. A healthy brain can work better than an unhealthy one.
- Socialize: Interaction with people reduces stress and depression. They are also a major reason for short term memory loss.
On the other hand, some medical treatments are also available to cure this issue. These treatments are basically for the progressive kind of memory loss.
- surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation for brain tumors
- medication to treat blood clots or, in some cases, surgery to treat bleeding in your brain
- cognitive therapy for such conditions as head injury
- therapy or medication for mental health conditions
- switching medications
- nutritional supplements
- rehab or other support for substance use disorder
Unfortunately, in some cases, no treatment is available. Some of those disorders are dementia caused by Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. However, doctors provide some medications that slow down the progression.
Switching medications and taking supplements are the treatments that work instantly for memory loss cases.
A person suffering from short term memory loss will not be able to remember the incident which happened 15 minutes ago. This disorder is found in many people. It is caused by several reasons like excessive smoking, or consumption of alcohol or tobacco. Symptoms of short term memory loss should be taken seriously. Get the best possible treatment for the same.
Short term memory loss can be cured by some medical processes with several other physical and mental activities. Some serious short term memory cases need serious medical attention as well.
It becomes difficult to overcome some critical memory loss especially when the disease is progressive. There is a medical process to cure these disorders. But, in some cases, medications can only slow the progress.
The best way to save yourself from short term memory loss is by keeping yourself healthy and active.
Also, read about: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Everything You Should Know
Having trouble learning new things or remembering what you think? Facing Memory loss problem? It’s important to seek medical attention or consult the Best Neurologist in India near you or book an appointment with Credihealth.
For more information or personal guidance, talk to Credihealth Medial Expert today.